Art Analysis

 


“DON QUIXOTE Pablo Picasso Poster A3 or A4 Matt Glossy Or.” Etsy, www.etsy.com/listing/588745222/don-quixote-pablo-picasso-poster-a3-or?gpla=1.

Click here for a link to the site where the picture was from.

Why I like this piece of art?

I like the perspective that this figure gives.  Don Quixote, his side kick the foreground has a defined shape, the further back you look into the painting, the objects devolve into lines.

Having the painting in black and white creates a stark contrast between objects and the environment.

Don Quixote holding a lance and a shield on his back creates a tone, like how is about to go to battle the windmills in the background.

What about the presentation? 

I enjoy the presentation because of the simplicity of the painting.  Even though it's just a few rough shapes and lines, I was able to distinguish it was Don Quixote.

Would you own a copy of it?  

I do own a small replication of the drawing.

Is there a backstory to this work, and if so, how do you relate to it?

It looks like Don Quixote is about to go battle the windmills in the background.  It seems bizarre that someone would fight an inanimate object like a windmill.  The windmill in this context is a representation of lost jobs due to automation.  A windmill's function is to mill grain from the wind, meaning fewer agriculture jobs. More jobs are lost today due to automation, for example, fewer cashiers and more automated self checkouts at grocery stores.  I can relate to the problem because I might help design future automated control systems.  I will be contributing to the problem Don Quixote was trying to fight.



Comments

  1. I agree with you about the contrast between objects and environment. I can see that the artwork has vertical lines and thick lines. They represent strength in the artwork. I also can see that the painting was freehand lines and it can also represent the mood of the artist. I was wondering, what is your opinion on the lines representing strength?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the simplicity of the this piece and I agree the contrast of black and white creates a stark contrasts between environments and objects! I would also say the thickness of the line would show what is further up front and what is far away like the sun versus the people. This painting also reminds me of an inkblot painting where it is up to interpretation what some of the objects mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful choice of painting by DON QUIXOTE. The definite contrast between the white background and black really popped to me from the beginning. I appreciate your analysis of looking further into the picture I do not think I would have noticed the use of lines in the creation of the painting. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Unknown1, I also agree with the assessment that line thickness symbolizes strength. Don Quixote and his horse have the thickest lines that showcases their power.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early Modern Art

Post Modern Art, The Age of Digital Entertainment